The West Gallery or Balcony
Llanymynech church was one of the last churches to be built with a gallery in its West end. These galleries were for musicians before organs were generally introduced. The galleries were originally developed because there were no available pews in the body of the church. The musicians or ‘quires’ were local people who provided their own instruments. Music was produced locally. West Galley Music thrived particularly from 1800 to 1850. The publication of Hymns Ancient and Modern in 1861 brought in standardisation.
The Victorians removed many existing West Galleries in their modernisation of old churches.